“The program can’t start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1.0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem”. You may have seen this error whenever you try to start a program.
The reason of this error is KB2999226 (Universal CRT) has been failed to install. It is part of the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015.
This error usually prevents programs like XAMPP, WAMP, SmartFTP, Delphi, etc. to start.
To solve this error, follow the steps below.
Install Windows updates
- First, go to Start -> Control Panel(Windows 7)/Settings(Windows 10) -> Windows updates.
- Check all updates and install all the updates available.
- Restart your computer after the updates has been installed.
- Before you go to the next step, make sure that you have installed all the important Windows updates.
Install Visual C++ Redistributable
- Download Visual C++ Redistributable for Windows 32-bit or Window 64-bit.
- Run the vcredist_x64.exe (64-bit) or vcredist_x86.exe (32-bit) and select Uninstall.
- Run the .exe again and select Install.
Hope this will help you. However, remember downloading the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1.0.dll from online won’t help you much. Beside the file may contains virus.